With the problems the exceptionally hot and dry summer gave us, we were very impressed with the quality of the entries this year. The numbers were down on last year, particularly the runner and other beans classes as the best crops had passed. Nevertheless, members exhibited a good range including hot chillies, root vegetables, fruit, flowers and domestic produce. Our thanks go to all who helped and of course to those who took part.
Special thanks go to the team from Brook Farm Allotments who once again presented the most wonderful display of produce of all kinds grown and made by their members. Their exhibit gives a real sense of their community and we would encourage other societies to do the same, particularly if members are reluctant to enter produce into the show itself. It’s a great way to grandstand the results of all the hard work members put in to their plots, bringing it all together and then showing in a group display. Why not give it a go next year?
The Trophy winners for 2018:
- The Rita Levy Cup – Vegetables: Hilary Burden of Childs Hill Allotments
- The Brewer Cup – Fruit: Kino Niccoli of Fursby Avenue Allotments
- The Constable Rose Bowl – Cut Flowers: Cathy Schmitt of Finchley Horticultural Society
- The Inter-Society Floral Art Cup – Potted Plant: Beatrice Valentine of Finchley Horticultural Society
- The WRVS Cup – Domestic: Hilary Burden of Childs Hill Allotments
A date to note in your diaries: BAF Horticultural Show: 17-18 August 2019